ENGLISH (832) 930-3059 | SPANISH (832) 356-7254
Daniel Albert Law FirmDaniel Albert Law Firm

Student Visa

Student Visa

The idea of coming to the U.S for higher studies is fascinating and a dream for many. With proper legal counsel, you can quickly secure a student visa and commence your journey in America. However, it is crucial to begin the process sooner to avoid unforeseen delays.

As an international student, you might have come across several visa options available to you – the most common being an F-1 visa and J-1 visa. Both are necessary for different programs and have varying requirements and benefits. But, to determine which category you are eligible for, it is essential to understand each type and work with a professional to walk you through the way.

F-1 Student Visa

This visa permits international students to come to America and study as full-time academic or language students. But, before applying for the visa, you must have already been accepted to an approved U.S. school or university. Besides, you are eligible if funded by personal and/ or outside sources. After coming for your studies, you will be able to apply for on-campus employment. Ultimately, if you do not have an extension, you must depart The States after the program ends.

J-1 Student Visa

Another nonimmigrant visa category for foreign students is the J-1 visa, A.K.A., Exchange Visitor Visa. It allows you to participate in study- and work-related exchange programs to promote talent, culture, and history between your home country and the United States. The J-1 category requires a substantive portion of funding from a university, nonprofit institution, or government, i.e., an outside source. Also, you can work part-time under J-1 for 20 hours per week and full-time in academic breaks. Once the course completes, you must return to your home country within 30 days and return to the U.S. only after 2-years.

The first step is to enroll yourself in a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school, attending 18 hours (or more) classes per week. The visa may be issued 120 days ahead of starting school. Once you have your visa, you will be able to enter America within 30 days of beginning your course. If you wish to come to the U.S. sooner, you can apply for a visitor visa. Besides, if your course is recreational, with less than 18-course hours a week, even then, you must apply for a nonimmigrant visa.

A Daniel Albert Law Attorney Can Help

Anyone planning to study in the United States must maintain the relevant type of student status. But how to decide which is best suited for you? Talk to a Daniel Albert Law immigration attorney and discuss your case for better assistance.

Several requirements must be met with your student visa, namely maintaining funding score, language proficiency, valid insurance, and work restrictions. The documentation, fees, and interview processes can also be complicated. But, our skilled attorneys can navigate you at every step of the way.

Call us at 832-930-3059 and book a consultation today.

Subscribe to our newsletter and promotions