ENGLISH (832) 930-3059 | SPANISH (832) 356-7254

Can U.S. Citizens Sponsor Half-Siblings

Can you bring your step or half-siblings to the United States on a green card if you are a US citizen?

Complete biological siblings are not the only ones who can immigrate to the United States with the sponsorship of a citizen of the United States of America. When applying for a green card in the United States, half-blood and step-sibling relationships are siblings.

Citizens of the United States are permitted to apply for (sponsor) the entry of their foreign-born brothers and sisters into the United States under federal immigration law. Families who wish to immigrate as a group are placed in the fourth priority category, which is the most beneficial category in terms of immigration. In the case of parents who have had many marriages or connections and as a result have half-sisters, half-brothers, stepsisters, or stepbrothers, what happens is that the citizen has a set of half-siblings. What exactly occurs in this situation? What happens in this situation? The answer to whether or not they can apply for legal permanent residency (a green card) in the United States is dependent on several variables that have to do with familial relationships.

Sponsoring a half-brother or half-sister by a citizen of the United States

A U.S. national who is 21 years of age or older can, under certain conditions, apply with the State Department to have his or her brothers and sisters (siblings) immigrate to the United States. Those who were the children of at least one common parent are considered siblings under U.S. immigration law, which means that half-blood siblings are included in the definition of “sibling.”(See Section 101(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act, sometimes known as the I.N.A., for the definition of “child.”)

Suppose you and your half-siblings are “paternal half-siblings” (the common parent being your father). In that case, you will have to present paperwork to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) demonstrating that your father was previously married to your mother, that their marriage was officially ended, and that the father has married your half-siblings’ mother (and that if she was ever married, that marriage, too has legally finished).

Sponsorship of a Stepsister or Stepbrother by a U.S. Citizen

Again, a resident of the United States who is over the age of 21 can petition for siblings. The term covers not only biological brothers and sisters but also step-brothers and step-sisters under specific circumstances, among other things.

One of the most essential things you should keep in mind is that both you and your stepsister or stepbrother once fit the legal criteria of “child” of a common father under the law. It makes no difference if you have never lived in the same house again.

To qualify as a “stepchild” under U.S. immigration law (particularly, Sections 101(b)(1) & (b)(2) of the Immigration & Nationality Act (I.N.A), which is codified at 8 U.S.C 1101(b)(1) and (c), one of you must have been below 18 years of age at your parent’s marriage time. In case you are meeting those requirements, you will be deported.

Green Cards for siblings who are U.S. citizens are being held up for a long time

Keep in mind it may take an incredible number of years before your half- or step-siblings may finish the process of getting green cards in the United States, even after completing and filing the visa petition that initiates the procedure (on USCIS Form I-130).

In part because of high demand, the average wait time in the sibling category (also known as “fourth preference” or F4) is approximately sixteen years for most applicants, seventeen years for Indiana, 23 years for Mexicans, and 19 years for those from the Philippines, according to the State Department’s Visa Bulletin.

The wait time for your siblings may have changed by the time they are accepted into the system, depending on how many other people apply around the same time they do and how large the backlog is before them. Despite this, it is almost certain that there will be a very long wait.

The individual may misuse the visa to remain in the United States permanently before receiving a green card from them the government. Unless they can persuade a U.S. consulate to award them a temporary visa, they will not be permitted to remain in the United States during this waiting period (for example, as a student or visitor). However, consulates are hesitant to do so when the individual has a family-based visa petition on file.

Another source of concern is that the United States Congress has made statements about removing the fourth priority visa category. In light of these concerns, it may be a good idea to file the I-130 visa petition as quickly as possible. Get advice from an experienced immigration attorney for a thorough analysis.

Leave A Reply

Subscribe to our newsletter and promotions